Division Director for Consumer Protection
Job Opening - Division Director for Consumer Protection
New Mexico Department of Justice
Santa Fe or Albuquerque, New Mexico
Open until the position is filled .
The New Mexico Department of Justice is seeking a dynamic and experienced litigator to join our team as the Division Director for Consumer Protection. As the Director, you will be responsible for overseeing and managing legal matters related to consumer protection laws and regulations. Their primary focus is to safeguard the rights and interests of consumers, combat fraudulent practices, and enforce consumer protection statutes. The Director will work closely with the Attorney General, Chief Deputy Attorney General, Deputy Attorney General for Affirmative Litigation and collaborate with a team of attorneys and legal professionals to develop and execute strategic litigation initiatives.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance on consumer protection laws, regulations, and policies to government agencies, departments, and officials. This includes interpreting consumer protection statutes and providing guidance on their application.
- Collaborate with the Intake and Constituent Services Division regarding consumer complaints and conduct investigations into potential violations of consumer protection laws.
- Initiate and oversee enforcement actions against businesses or individuals engaging in fraudulent or deceptive practices.
- Assist in the development and implementation of consumer protection policies and regulations.
- Collaborate with the Intake and Constituent Services Division to develop and implement consumer education initiatives to inform the public about their rights, raise awareness about common consumer scams, and provide guidance on making informed purchasing decisions.
- Collaborate with other government agencies, consumer advocacy organizations, and industry stakeholders to coordinate efforts and share information related to consumer protection.
- Oversee and manage consumer protection litigation, including working with other attorneys, developing case strategies, and ensuring legal actions align with the overall objectives of the New Mexico Department of Justice.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
- Admission to the New Mexico state bar and in good standing or the ability to acquire a limited law license.
- 6 years of experience in litigation, with a demonstrated focus on affirmative litigation and 3 years of management experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of consumer protection law, and other relevant legal areas.
- Proven track record of developing and executing successful litigation strategies.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate a team of attorneys and legal professionals.
- Outstanding legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, equality, and public interest law.
Application Instructions and Submission Form
Complete the form below and include the following required documents or submit the following documents to Tim Maestas at email@example.com.
Accepted file types: doc, docx, pdf, Max. file size: 300 MB, Max. files: 10.
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the role and your relevant experience.
- Resume/CV with a detailed overview of your educational and professional background.
- Writing samples showcasing your legal research and writing abilities.
- Contact information for three professional references.
The New Mexico Department of Justice is committed to recruiting the highest quality candidates who support the values of integrity, excellence and service. We have a commitment to honesty, ethical behavior, and transparency in all actions and decisions. We strive for the highest level of professionalism and expertise in all aspects of our work. And we have a strong dedication to serving the public interest and prioritizing the well-being of the community – especially the interests of those least capable of defending themselves. The New Mexico Department of Justice is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply. For more information, please visit our website at nmag.gov.